Friday, July 5, 2013

A Mountain or a Molehill?


Here's my entry for today's Flash!Fiction contest #31. (Look at me getting it up the same day! ...Before the contest is even closed nonetheless!) Today we had 200 words with a 5 word grace. I only wrote 201. :) It took me all day to be inspired to write this. I figured I would have to skip today since I spent most of my writing time focused on editing the novel. But inspiration came and hit me upside the head. It was fun. Here's the picture that sparked the story:


Castle in Venezuela. Photo courtesy of David Mark, Pixabay



“This had better be important!” Wilhelm grumbled as he ascended the spiral staircase that led to the top of the tower. The watch had been known to make a mountain out of a molehill. He pushed hard on the rough, wooden hatch and it smacked the roof with a satisfying crack. “REPORT!” He bellowed while he climbed onto the roof.

“Sir! There’s a… Well… I mean…” Gideon took a deep, shuddering breath.

Wilhelm glared up at the young man from his knees and shouted, “Spit it out!”

Gideon bit his lip and pointed a trembling finger over the edge of the wall.

Wilhelm sighed and stood, freezing half-way up and staring out at the mountainside before him. “When did…? What…?” He cleared his throat and stood strait. “Think, Son, did it appear or approach?”

Gideon stood straight in response, “It approached, Sir.”

“You couldn’t call a warning before it arrived?”

Gideon cleared his throat and brushed his hands down his jacket, “It moved quickly, Sir, and I… didn’t believe it.”

“How long has it been motionless?”

“Shortly after I sent for you.”

“Well, aim your cannon toward it, soldier. We must protect our people against anything.”

“But, Sir… It’s a mountain.”

No comments:

Post a Comment