Welcome back! My son informed me yesterday that it is too cold (he must not remember last year) and that he wanted to migrate to somewhere warmer. He had high hopes that the groundhog would not see his shadow (as it was cloudy here this morning) and spring would be on its way. Alas, the sun ruined his plans, so how about you give us some good reading material for the six extra weeks of winter to come? Thanks. Have at it!
If you haven't read the full version of the rules, go here. Otherwise, here's the short version:
1. Start with the given first sentence. (Allowable alterations listed below)
2. Up to 500 words
3. Keep it clean (nothing rated R or above)
4. Optional Special Challenge
5. Stories submitted must be your own work, using characters and worlds that you have created. Sorry, no fanfiction.
6. Include: Twitter/email, word count, Special Challenge accepted
7. The challenge is open for 24 hours on Tuesday EST
Oh, and feel free to change pronouns, punctuation, tense, and anything in brackets to fit the story/pov/tone. I'm not going to be TOO picky... Our judge however...
Our Judge today is Nancy Chenier, also known as @rowdy_phantom. Check out her blog here. Read her winning tale from last week here! Nancy stumbled into flash fiction when the squidlet was born, as writing time has to be carved out of sporadic nap times and sane bedtimes. When not writing, she's probably doing something outdoors. She's eternally grateful for contests like FTT and the incredible flash community (shout out to #flashdogs) for providing such a supportive venue for writers.
Your first sentence for FINISH THAT THOUGHT #2-31 is:
[It] wasn't supposed to be like this.
Your SPECIAL CHALLENGE from the judge is:
Write in second person.
AAAAAAAND WE'RE OFF!!!