Welcome back! July is going out with a bang for me as GenCon is this weekend. I am SO excited!!! I'll be spending a lot of my time at the Writers Track panels trying to up my game, but I've certainly left space in my schedule to go play some awesome board games. :) Hopefully I can get the winners post up on time, but if it's a little late that will be why. No promises this week...except in your prompt! Go check it out! :)
If you haven't read the full version of the rules, go here. Otherwise, here's the short version:
1. Start with the given first sentence. (Allowable alterations listed below)
2. Up to 500 words
3. Keep it clean (nothing rated R or above)
4. Optional Special Challenge
5. Stories submitted must be your own work, using characters and worlds that you have created. Sorry, no fanfiction.
6. Include: Twitter/email, word count, Special Challenge accepted
7. The challenge is open for 24 hours on Tuesday EST
Oh, and feel free to change pronouns, punctuation, tense, and anything in brackets to fit the story/pov/tone. I'm not going to be TOO picky... Our judge however...
Our Judge today is Nancy Chenier, also known as @rowdy_phantom. Check out her blog here. Read her winning tale from last week here! Nancy stumbled into flash fiction when the squidlet was born, as writing time has to be carved out of sporadic nap times and sane bedtimes. When not writing, she's probably doing something outdoors. She's eternally grateful for contests like FTT and the incredible flash community (shout out to #flashdogs) for providing such a supportive venue for writers.
Your first sentence for FINISH THAT THOUGHT #3-4 is:
I promised myself I wouldn't let [external circumstances] affect my [mood] but quickly realized I wouldn't be able to keep that promise.
Your SPECIAL CHALLENGE from the judge is:
Include a work of art AND an animal (real or imaginary)
AAAAAAAND WE'RE OFF!!!