Thursday, July 19, 2012

Knowledge is Power

I'm revisiting the world of A Curse or a Blessing, the post from a couple weeks ago. Here I tell another classroom moment for Krisilloc. This is my first entry for Thursday Threads at Siobhan Muir's blog. I've never repeated worlds or characters in my flash fiction before, but this just seemed to work for me. Perhaps I will get enough information on these characters to write a longer story. We'll see. For now, here's my 250 (max allowed) word story containing the promp phrase: "I'll tell you whatever you wish to hear."




Maritax raised her hand, “I’ll tell you whatever you wish to hear.”

“No, no, no! That’s not it at all! Anyone else?” Professor Utleg scanned the room as Maritax put out the fire on her upper right elbow.

“Will you tell me what you desire…?” piped Brieont.

“Very close. Good job. Anyone else want to try?” Brieont was his favorite. He beamed. I just wanted to wipe that smirk off his face.

I raised my upper left arm. Utleg nodded at me. “Could you tell me what you need?” He looked angry. I supposed I got it right. Again.

“Yes.” He said grudgingly and turned away from me to continue the lecture. Why couldn’t he say ‘good job’ just once to me? My left leg ignited just above the ankle. I sprayed a burst from my extinguisher. Why did I let him make me so frustrated? Why couldn’t I just get over it?

When the lecture was finally over, we all headed to Community Service. Colaxil scrambled next to me, “How did you know that was ‘need’? We haven’t gone over that one in class before.”

“The root looked more like the one for require than desire. I just guessed right.” Actually, I’d been studying. Knowledge was power, and I needed all I could get if I was going to get out of here.

 “Oh. Yeah. Huh. So what do you think we’re going to do for CS today?”

“We hauled the rocks yesterday, maybe they’ll have us start construction?”

No comments:

Post a Comment