Sunday, March 23, 2014

The Watcher

I finally managed to write a story for Flash Friday! It's been a while. We get 150 words (give or take 10) and two prompts. The first is to include a detective in the story. The second is this picture:

Creative Commons photo by Kat/Swim Parallel.

My story ended up at 155 words. I hope you enjoy! :)



The Watcher

 

She would get on the bus shortly. I stretched my legs out and waited.

Vinnie drove me all the way to Stratford so I could be on before her.

I put my feet up and leaned back into my seat, feigning nonchalance as the bus pulled to a stop.

She entered amidst a large group – business people, young mothers, students – and glanced around the bus before sitting a couple rows ahead of me on the opposite side. She pulled out a book and put her back to the window, seemingly unaware of anything else.

Her bodyguard sat in the seat across from her.

One stop.

Two stops.

Three stops.

The drop needed to be made today.

I stood, heels clicking on the metal floor. I picked up my bag and hurried down the steps and out the door.

I didn’t have to turn around to know she was following me.

Stupid detective. I’m the decoy.
 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. I like the twist. But too short.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Thanks! I wasn't sure the word limit had enough time for me to do the twist justice. At least you saw it as a twist. I'm terrible at writing twists, so I'm glad it worked. I think it would've worked better with more details, but I didn't have space for them. Ah well. Thanks for responding! :)

      Delete