Saturday, May 4, 2013

Ignorance is Bliss

I wrote this a couple weeks ago and never posted it. Oops. It's been that kind of couple weeks...Actually, it's been that kind of couple months! It was for the Flash! Friday #20 on April 19th. I enjoyed writing it, but I think the last line was a bit too forced. If I had a few more words to work with I think it wouldn't have felt so... morally. Yeah, I know that's not a word, but that's the one I want... :) It was a 300 word limit, but I needed a bit more to make it feel natural. Ah, well. Hope you like it anyway! :)

 Nobody (1921)



“Miranda! Have you seen this?” Gerald thrust the newspaper before her jabbing at the article for emphasis.

“What makes you think I’ve seen it? I don’t read the paper, Gerald.” Miranda turned her nose up and glanced away.

“Fine. Stupid question. But have you heard…”

Miranda stared at the patterned wallpaper across the room, counting the tiny flowers that grew in precise patterns. One, two, three… She didn’t like to listen to bad news. Her mother always told her that ignorance was bliss and she intended to prove it.

Fourteen, fifteen… It wasn’t a very scientific study. She hadn’t quite worked out how to judge whether she was happier not knowing something without finding out what she didn’t know, which would ruin the entire experiment.

Thirty-one, thirty-two, thirty-three… She had successfully avoided all manner of news for over a month, but it took focus and careful planning. Sewing circle, book club, even the opera needed to be avoided!

Forty-five, forty-six, forty-seven…

THWACK!

“What was that for?” Miranda massaged her head while she glared at Gerald.

“Did you hear a word I said?” He brandished the newspaper threateningly.

“I’m sure I heard it, Gerald. I just wasn’t listening.” She crossed her arms over her chest.

“So. You think this is bliss?” He gestured at her with the paper. “I can prove you wrong right now.”

Miranda quirked an eyebrow, “Oh?”

“Yeah. THIS news?” He tore the paper to bits. “This news makes me SO happy… SO thrilled…” He laughed, “I wanted to share it with you. But you know what?” He tossed it like confetti. “If you want to know what it is, you’ll have to read it yourself.” He turned and stalked out of the room.

“Now that’s just cheating.” Miranda bit her lip, then knelt to find joy instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment