And we're back for another round! So glad you could join us again (or for the first time)! With NaNo (nanowrimo.org) looming for many of you, I just thought I'd mention some of the benefits of flash fiction that I've experienced.
1) It provides a much needed creative break from a longer piece that feels like it's going nowhere.
2) It gives a sense of completion and success at finishing something when a longer piece takes, well, longer.
3) It allows you to experiment with things that are not 'your genre' or 'your style'.
4) It teaches you to make every word count - mechanics, structure, and word choice are so important.
That said, I need to know about judging availability during November. Are you doing Nano? If you are, would you still be willing to judge if you win? So after your twitter/email and Special Challenge lines, could you put a Nano line in for me? THANKS! :)
Special Challenge: accepted
Nano: yes [doing nano], yes [able to judge]
Now, on to the prompts!!!
If you haven't read the full version of the rules, go here. Otherwise, here's the short version:
1. Start with the given first sentence.
2. Up to 500 words
3. Keep it clean (nothing rated R or above)
4. Optional Special Challenge
5. Stories submitted must be your own work, using characters and worlds that you have created. Sorry, no fanfiction.
6. Include: Twitter/email, word count, Special Challenge accepted
7. The challenge is open for 24 hours on Tuesday EST
Oh, and feel free to change pronouns, punctuation, tense, and anything in brackets to fit the story/pov/tone. I'm not going to be TOO picky... Our judge however...
Our Judge today is Michael Seese. Read his winning tale from last week here! Michael Seese has published three books, not to mention a lot of short stories, flash fiction, and poetry. He currently is shilling his latest work, a long short story / short novella titled Rebecca’s Fall From.... Other than that, he spends his spare time rasslin' with three young'uns. Visit www.MichaelSeese.com or follow @MSeeseTweets to laugh with him or at him.
Your first sentence for FINISH THAT THOUGHT #2-17 is:
Your SPECIAL CHALLENGE from the judge is:
Include TWO of the following:
an Isuzu Trooper, a Shetland sheepdog, a plate of spaghetti, Carmen Electra
AAAAAAAND WE'RE OFF!!!